How do I know if my mobile will work in the countries I am travelling to?
- Your mobile phone must be unlocked from your network provider.
- Most of the world (including Australia) uses GSM 900 / GSM 1800.
- This means that if your phone works in Australia, it will work almost anywhere.
- USA and the Americas
Japan and South Korea
- You will need a 3G phone that uses WCDMA
Ensure your handset is unlocked from your network provider. More information on unlocking handsets can be found here.
Work out which frequencies your mobile phone handset can use.
- Mobile handsets can work with any combination of four GSM frequency bands and two 3G frequency bands
- Look at the TravelSIM Country List page
- The network type will be GSM900 / GSM1800/ GSM1900 / GSM850 or some combination of these
- Japan and South Korea are WCDMA
Work out what frequencies are used by the mobile phone networks in the countries you are travelling to.
- Search Google for Make and Model specification (e.g. Nokia 6230i specification)
- See here for more info on this topic
Your phone must work on the same frequency(s) as the country(s) you will be travelling to.